Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 6 6/8/07

2:30 am
Bus pick up for Stonehenge

4:30 am
Arrive at Stonehenge

This mornings visit to Stoneghenge was amazing. I didn't get any sleep before the bus arrived at 2:30 am to pick us up for the Stonehenge sunrise, but it didn't bother me. Jill and I instead, stayed up and talked for hours. It was quite relaxing actually, and this way I was able to sleep on the bus the whole ride there. We finally arrived at Stonehenge at 4:30 am and were able to enter the gates at 5:00 am. The whole experience was so surreal. I felt so honored not only to be in the England countryside experiencing such ancient history, but to be able to enter beyond the usually blocked off area and touch the stones for myself. We didn't see much of a sunrise due to all the fog, but I didn't care. The fog gave the stones a nostalgic feel, which was just as beautiful. I will never forget these moments.

12:00 pm
Tower of London

Today was our first free day so a bunch of us girls took advantage of this time and went to the Tower of London. We had a great tour guide who was animated, witty and very knowledgable about London's royalty history and the history of the castles. Apparently, all the tour guides are led by men who have some lineage to London royalty and have served over 20 years as a London beafeaters, or guards, which I found very interesting. They all live in one of the towers as well which is even more cool. As the tour came to a wrap and opened up for questions, Alicia raised her hand and asked our tour guide if he was married. It was cute. We then all posed for a picture with our friendly tour guide and were on our way.

No comments: